UCLA Bio-Launch Application
- Applicants Submit an Application by March 31: As part of the application process, you will be asked to provide basic information about yourself, and your research interests. You will be asked to upload your CV. Additionally, you will be asked to list 3 Bio-Launch Mentors that you would like to be matched with for informational interviews.
- A selection committee will review complete applications. Accepted applicants will be notified and then be asked to confirm their participation in the program.
- If you are accepted into the program, you will be invited to attend our virtual events on May 3-4.
- The committee will also match you with 1-3 mentors based on your research interests. (Although the committee will strive to match participants and faculty with similar research interests, we are not able to guarantee this will be possible.) You will schedule meetings with your assigned mentors for informational interviews during the post-event recruitment period (May 5-26).
- All accepted participants will receive a full list of participating mentors after the conclusion of the recruitment period, at which time you are encouraged to reach out to any potential mentors of interest you weren’t able to meet.
- Likewise, all participating mentors will receive a list of all prospective postdoc participants with contact information for their individual recruiting efforts.
- Late February – Application Opens
- DEADLINE EXTENDED: March 31, 2023 at 11:59PM PST – Application Deadline
- April – Committee reviews applications
- Mid-to-Late April – Applicants are notified of committee decision
- May 3-4, 2023 – Virtual Events (see tentative agenda below)
- May 5-26, 2023 – Recruitment Period (Zoom-based Informational Interviews)
UCLA Bio-Launch will be most useful for advanced PhD students (you have passed your qualifying exam or are post-candidacy by the time of the event), recent PhD graduates, or early-career postdoc scholars in Bioscience fields.
There is no citizenship requirement to apply.
Agenda for May 3-4 Virtual Events*:
*All times listed below are in Pacific Standard Time and all events are hosted on Zoom.
Wednesday, May 3, 2023
- 9:00-10:00 am – Welcome & Overview of UCLA Postdoc Experience
Presented by Dr. Greg Payne (Director of Graduate Programs & Postdoctoral Affairs in Bioscience) & Dr. Lynn Talton (Director of Bioscience Postdoctoral Affairs)
- 10:00-11:00am – Workshop: Finding Mentors, Aligning Expectations, & Self-Advocacy
Presented by Letty Treviño
- 1:00-2:00pm – Panel: “Ask a UCLA Postdoc”
Moderator: Letty Treviño
Panelists: Sada Boyd, Leonila Lagunes, Berney Peng
Thursday. May 4, 2023
- 10:00-11:00am – Workshop: Effective Informational Interviewing & Networking
Presented by UCLA Graduate Career Services
Informational interviews, conversations you have with others to learn more about their professional experiences, can be an invaluable way to explore your own career options and make professional connections. Despite their importance, most people never learn how to conduct effective informational interviews. Join us to learn and practice strategies for identifying and connecting with potential interviewees, structuring these important conversations, and asking strong questions to learn valuable information about the industries you are interested in. Participants will leave the workshop with informational interviewing resources and tools to help support career development and job searches.
- 12:00-1:00pm – Networking: Speed Friending
How it works: Speed Friending is a guided networking activity. Prospective postdocs will be placed in breakout rooms with faculty and the groups will be switched every 8-10 minutes. We will be providing ice breaker questions per round to guide the conversation in the breakout rooms. Questions will involve faculty sharing their career journeys and reflecting on their best practices as scientists.